Happy Friday everyone! A few items of note going into the weekend…
- Georgia Tech spring game tonight under the lights at Bobby Dodd Stadium. As much as I hate Tech, I have to say the Friday night spring game is a great idea. Tevin Washington figures to be the starting QB heading into the season, but Tech fans have been excited about backup QB Vad Lee since he arrived on campus last year. Lee continues to battle Synjyn Days (don’t ask me to pronounce that. Sin-Jin?) for the no. 2 spot. According to the AJC, Days may sit out of tonight’s game, so expect to see plenty of Lee.
- After an 0-4 start, Matt Diaz and the Atlanta Braves continue their winning ways. Since starting 0-4, the Braves have dropped just one game. Last night, the bats continued to stay hot as they routed the Arizona Diamondbacks 10-2. Two more games left in Arizona tonight and tomorrow before the Bravos travel to Los Angeles to face the Dodgers, in what should be a great 3-game series.
- The NFL Draft is less than a week away. The Atlanta Falcons don’t pick until the 2nd-round, due to the Julio Jones pick last year (I agree with AJC’s Mark Bradley: still a great move). Two things the Falcons desperately need: 1.) Help on the DL and Secondary, and 2.) Help on the OL (okay, I guess that’s three things). They’ve needed help in the secondary for 3 years now, so I think that should be addressed first. Many projections have CB Brandon Boykin (UGA) available when the Falcons pick, which could be a steal. Many experts believe the Falcons will address OL needs first. Personally, I feel they should address OL later in the draft and through free-agency.
- In some unfortunate news, Herschel Walker lost to Barry Sanders in the final round of voting to appear on EA Sports’ NCAA 13 cover with Robert Griffin III. I was really pulling for Herschel to win, so this was a disappointment.
- SEC spring football wraps up tomorrow. Most of the conference has concluded spring practice. Teams wrapping up tomorrow with spring scrimmages include: Arkansas, Mississippi State, Ole Miss and Tennessee.
My first mailbag item comes from special teams enthusiast Brandon Nesbit. Brandon knows I’m a uniform guru, so he sent me a picture of the new US National Team Soccer Jerseys to get my thoughts. At first glance, I thought “Where is Waldo?” Can’t say I’m a huge fan, especially compared to the 2010 World Cup jerseys. However, if they’re trying to look like an American flag, mission accomplished.
As you head into the weekend, enjoy this wonderful video explaining the firing of Bobby Petrino at Arkansas (in Taiwanese). If you enjoy it as much as I do, I’d also recommend this Ndamukong Suh video. Enjoy…
Have a comment, question or topic idea? Email me at email@example.com!